Friday, March 6, 2020

Hello Families,
This short week has been fabulous! I'm happy to be back with your children and really missed them. They have adjusted well to being back at school, and I feel like it's been a productive few days.  Here's a brief run-down:

In math, both grades are working on what it means to multiply by ten or by the multiples of ten. We discussed this earlier in the year, but I think the concept makes more sense to the students now that they have learned so much more. They understand that the rule is not "just add a zero" because you aren't actually adding anything! For example, 2X3=6. so 2X30=60, but we aren't just adding a zero to the 6 -- we are MOVING it over in place value and putting the zero in the ones place as a place holder.  Phew!  I know the "trick" of adding a zero is easier to remember, but I think understanding the concept will help them become more efficient math thinkers!  The 4th graders are learning how to multiply a number by 10, then by 20, then by 25 -- all mentally, using what they know about multiplying by 10!  We'll be finishing up this unit soon and moving on to.... fractions!

During reading, the students are researching animals in small research groups.  They are learning how to organize their research into categories (habitats, food, bodies, etc.) how to take notes, and how to summarize the author's main ideas.  This is preparing them for an independent research project which we will start by the end of next week. I am letting them research whatever they want, as long as we can find some books for them to use -- including books they bring from home. Please take a moment to discuss this with your child -- make sure they are choosing a topic they don't already know a lot about, and one that could lead to new learning without being too obscure.  I am also helping with this here at school, but I know they will appreciate your input.

We have taken a short break from writing while we learn to research. Once they kids have learned some information about their topic, they will begin writing their research in the form of an informational essay. This will be their final large writing piece this year!

In the meantime, we are using our writing time to do some fun projects that are unrelated to the curriculum -- just for team building and to remember that learning is fun!  We are doing an egg-drop challenge, and the students are really pumped up about this!  Today they made lists of materials they need me to bring for them, and materials they can bring from home. If they come home asking you to go out and buy all sorts of strange things, please don't hesitate to contact me -- I'm happy to add materials to the lists they have given me. We will drop our eggs on Wednesday, and I'll be sure to get some video to share!

We've started our "Structure and Function" unit in science. Today we looked at and dissected flowers and some parsley plants. The students drew diagrams of the plants, labeled the parts, and worked on figuring out what each part does and how the entire plant works together as a system. Next we will get into structures in animals and what functions they perform.

I sent home conference sign up reminders on Thursday. If you didn't get yours and are wondering when we are meeting, please send me an email and I will let you know. I'm looking forward to meeting with all of you to talk about your children! As usual, they are invited to the conference if you'd like them to attend, but it's entirely up to you.

Finally, we are going to walk to the river (weather permitting) to visit "our" trees next Friday (3/13) at 9:45 and returning at 11:00. It's a short trip, but I'd love a few extra adults to go along with us. If you'd like to join us, please let me know.

I think that's all for this week. Enjoy the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment